There are many types of food that we humans enjoy eating that can be harmful, or even toxic, to your pet. You should certainly be aware of them and avoid giving them to your pet, and don’t let anyone else feed them to your pet. Some things like alcohol, for example, are obvious. You should never allow your pet to ingest any kind of alcoholic drink, even very mild, low strength drinks like shandy, a beer and lemonade mix. Other foods that can harm your pet may be less obvious, which of course begs the question: are they really all that good for us humans?
Your pet, just like you, will enjoy the healthiest and longest life possible if fed with the best nutritious food, avoiding all the stuff that can cause harm. This will build up a strong immune system in your pet to fight disease and maintain a peak condition. So, before you throw your pet some scraps from the table, or add some people food to its food tray, think about what it is you are about to give it, and if it might be harmful to them.
Methylxanthine is a substance that will cause your pet to have diarrhea and to vomit. Your pet will also pant heavily, seek excessive amount of water and urinate a lot. Normally there will be nothing worse than excessive hyperactivity, but an abnormal heart rhythm, coupled with tremors, and seizures is certainly possible too. In the worst case scenario, your pet could die.
If you’re wondering what methylxanthine is, it’s found in caffeine, chocolate and coffee. Dogs and cats both love chocolate, but don’t give it to them; it can be very harmful. The darker the chocolate, the more harmful it will be to your pet.
Salty foods snacks are bad for you pet. While sodium ion poisoning is an extreme reaction, and will require a considerable amount of salt intake with your pet, excessive thirst is common, which in turn will lead to excessive urination. Too much salt intake will cause your pet to vomit and have diarrhea. Its temperature might rise significantly, and seizures – even death – is possible.
Your pet may enjoy the taste of nuts, but they contain high amounts of fats and oils, which can be dangerous and can potentially lead to pancreatitis. If your pet ingests a lot of nuts, vomiting and diarrhea are likely results with your pet feeling ill for several hours. Tossing a few peanuts to your dog or cat might seem a harmless thing to do while you watch TV in the evening, but it’s really not such a good idea.
Other foods to avoid giving to your pet include grapes and raisins, which can cause kidney failure, dairy products, which can upset the digestive system and cause diarrhea, onions and garlic, which can cause gastrointestinal irritation, and citrus acid found in various fruits, which can cause stomach upsets. Bear in mind, if it doesn’t seem natural for your pet to be eating it, it probably isn’t.
If you enjoyed reading this article, you may enjoy the following: